Hi Kenpo Freestylers! I thought it appropriate to give you a rundown of the current events. Keep in mind they are changing rapidly, so stay tuned to this page. You will find all current news under the Blog section in our website, www.karate-kids.com.au.
We are currently still operating at all locations, and will remain so unless the school/schools are ordered to close. We feel that especially now, kids need a fun, safe outlet in which to burn off their energy and stay engaged in the martial arts, which will help us all in this stressful time. We thank everyone who has stood by us and continued their training during this tough time. For those who have had to withdraw, we fully understand, as we know there are situations beyond your control, such as older folks or those with compromised medical conditions in your families or extended families. We only hope that you return to training once this is over as this club and our great instructors will desperately need your support as we recover.
We have by necessity made some important changes. Please feel free to comment or make further suggestions, parents and students.
1. We have moved to a “no touch” policy, where students must keep their hands to themselves. This includes the time before class where children play and make friends. Our games/activities have been adapted to include only no touch drills, so there should be no use of blockers or other tools that touch different students in the class. Students should also avoid touching the floor with their hands.
2. We are observing “social distancing” protocol, by separating students into small groups, usually five or less, if staff permits. We are spreading the groups around the hall areas as much as we can. We are trying to keep students at least two metres apart from each other. We have asked the parents to drop children off and not come into the class, but if necessary, place seating at least 1.5 metres apart.
3. Kick bags are still permitted but must be disinfected between classes. Only instructors and assistants are allowed to hold them, and they must wash their hands afterward. It is suggested that students wear their runners, so no skin contact may be made on the bags.
4. Other activities, such as Red light/Green light, balancing on blocks, kata training and competitions, self-defence training, kicking/hand strikes/blocks without bags, and many others can still be done. Your instructors are currently devising new ways to train and motivate our students so classes will be fun and challenging, and still develop martial arts skills.
5. We are keeping hand sanitisers at all front desks and any student or parent may use this. To keep our supplies on hand though, we recommend they use the soap and water method in the toilets before and after class. If no soap, please notify the instructor and we will contact the hall owner.
This situation will test the meddle of our whole country. We will do what we can to get through this, but we need everyone’s help. Thanks again for your support.
Sensei Matt Klein
Owner and Chief Instructor