The Benefits of Sword Combat for Kids
1. Strengthens both arms. You hold the sword with both hands and use it to strike, thrust, and parry. This builds coordination and strength in both arms.
2. Develops quick reflexes. The weapon moves faster than someone’s fist and it has more reach. You must be quick to block it or evade it.
3. It teaches you how to read an opponent’s attacks. You will learn how your opponent moves as they are getting ready to attack, and this will help you to avoid them.
4. It develops an understanding of how to block an attacker’s weapon, not just how to strike. By learning the attacks, you will also learn the defences.
5. It teaches fast footwork for self defence. You will find that if you don’t move around you will be hit with the sword easily. By staying light on your feet you can attack and retreat much faster.
6. It enables a smaller person to defeat a bigger person with speed and technique. Speed and technique are more important than brute strength in a self defence situation.
7. It burns off stress and energy without hurting anyone. If you are wearing proper safety equipment and the sword combat sparring is controlled by instructors, it is a safe and fun way to release tension and get some great exercise.
I hope you can see the benefits of sword combat for kids. Can anyone think of any other benefits that were not included on this post? Please feel free to leave your comments.